Living a healthy lifestyle goes beyond just working out and eating clean. Mental health is the most important part.
“Your fitness is 100% mental! Your body won’t go where your mind doesn’t push it”
First, lets start with what exactly is meditation:
“Meditation is the practice of turning your attention to a single point of reference. It can involve focusing on the breath, on bodily sensations, or on a word or phrase known as a mantra. In other words, meditation means turning your attention away from distracting thoughts and focusing on the present moment”.
Meditating can be difficult at first and is different for everyone. You’ll be thinking about your day, how your going to pay bills, what to get for dinner, or when that guy you met will text you back— but this is totally normal. Siting in complete silence and clearing your mind of all thoughts won’t just happen over night, but once you achieve it, you will be amazed by how you feel and what the world magnetizes your way to better your life.
Here are a few tips from my meditation experiences that will help you “zen out” like a pro:
1. Start by sitting in a position that is comfortable for you, even if that means laying flat on the ground. Whatever is relaxing.
2. Now simply close your eyes. Make sure you don’t have any distractions around you. Turn off your tv, music, phone, etc…I also love meditating at the beach where it is quiet and just zoning out to the sound of the waves. If you have a place like this, go there.
3. Focus on your breathing and how the body moves with each breath. If you feel like you start to think about all the craziness in your life, simple regather yourself and think of someplace that makes you happy, and then zone out from there back to focusing on your breath and nothing more.
4. Simply sit there and be one with yourself. Use this time to reboot your mind, body, and soul.
5. Set a timer and see how long you can do this for. If you can do it for 5 minutes your first day, your an expert already!
Once you get the hang of it and keep practicing you will notice some amazing things will happen to your mind, body, and soul. This is so important for not only our health but for your success in life as well.
Why did I start meditating?
I’ve always been a strong believer in energy. Anything you think consciously or subconsciously, good or bad, it will become your reality. So i used meditation as a way to turn my negative thoughts into positive ones. I also experience anxiety, nervousness, and insomnia a lot. I found meditation to help me drastically with all of these issues. I have experienced some amazing things while meditating and as a result. I also used meditating as a way of getting answers, and let me tell you, it works. All you have to do is truly listen.
Some of my favorite apps to help get started: